Sunday, April 20, 2008

Where the bugs are?

Readers discretion is advised

Today I was reading Jules' Mens Health when I stopped on an interesting article that I would like to share with you guys! It's called Where the bugs are... I was quite grossed out actually!

1) Vacuum cleaner: 50% of the vacuum brushes containes fecal bacteria, including 13# with E.coli and all are packing mold, the solution is to spray the brush with a disinfectant after every use.

2) Grocery cart: the handles of almost two-thirds of shopping carts tested were contaminated with fecal bacteria. The carts had even more of these bacteria than the average public bathroom has. The solution is to swab the handle with a disinfectant wipe before grabbing hold and bag unpackaged items like fruits and vegetables before placing them in your fecal-matter carrier.

3) Your bed: More then 84% of beds in U.s. homes host dust mites. These microscopic critters live in your sheets and feed on your dead skin, and their fecal matter and corpses contribute to asthma and allergies. The solution is to not make your bed.

4) Lemon wedge in your drink: 70% of the lemon wedges smashed onto restaurant glasses contained disease-causing microbes. The solution is to ask the waiter a drink sans fruit!

5) Contact-lens case: they were found to be crawling with germs, the solution is to dump the used solution and thoroughly rinse your case in hot water and to replace the lens case every 3 months and buy a new bottle of solution every other month.

6) Your shower curtain: they found that vinyl shower curtains are microbe meccas, breeding potential pathogens. The solution is to hang a fabric shower curtain from the rod and to wash it in the hottest water the fabric can handle at least once a month.

So having said that, go buy yourselves some Lysol disinfectant wipes A.S.A.P. I know I will! :)

1 comment:

SC said...

That's gross! I love lemon wedges on all my drinks... but now I don't know... I guess I will have to really examine them and think twice before I decide to sqeeze that lemon in my ice tea!!